Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Warrior Wednesday 2/12/2014

Last week, I talked about my upcoming 8K and whether I could pull it off given my extreme lack of jogging over the past few months.  I'm proud to say that I did pull of the 5ish mile run, and came in 3rd in my age division, even if at a slower pace than I was capable of only a year ago.  It's a great start, though!  I finished 68 out of 179 with a time of 43:41.


Between doing better than I'd expected and the fact that I'm getting to the gym a bit more during my lunch breaks at work, I'm feeling more and more confident about my upcoming Warrior Dash race in May.  There's a ton of upcoming 5Ks I'm looking at, and I definitely want to sign up for a couple before the Warrior Dash, including a local mud/obstacle course race I did last year.  There's one race that I'll likely have to forgo due to the impending birth of my second son that involves running 1.55 miles, eating 6 hot dogs, and then running the remaining 1.55.  It's only 1 week after my wife's due date, but if I can pull it off, it'll be a good primer for if I ever get to do the Krispy Kreme Challenge(same concept, only involving a dozen KK glazed doughnuts instead of hot dogs).  As a lover of jogging and doughnuts, I've always wanted to try this! 

Back to the Winter Flight 8K I did this past weekend, the best part of the day was that my son participated in the 1/2 mile fun run beforehand.  He was still getting over a bit of respiratory junk, but he ran half of the half mile and got a medal!  It was adorable to see how proud he was!  

As for my St. Jude fundraising for the Warrior Dash, I'm still standing at $275 of my $300 goal.  Remember to check it out at warrior.stjude.org/brianbeam.  Every $5 you donate enters you to win copies of my books, or even to get your name used for a major character in Book 3 of Korin's Journal.  And, of course, you'll be supporting an amazing organization!


Until next time, here's some post-race pictures!





And a video of my son, Jonas, racing!



And finally, here's my son as a 3-year-old ladies man.  He fell in the gym at the college where the race was held while playing and did his whole cover-my-face-and-pretend-no-one-can-see-me embarrassment thing.  Then this little girl helped him up.  And then he fell again, this time without the embarrassment, and she helped him up again.  And then he fell while standing in place, obviously on purpose, smiling up at this girl the entire time.  When she helped him up again, they held hands and proceeded to run around the gym together.  Apparently I've got a little heart-breaker in the making.  


2 comments:

  1. Your son is freakin' adorable! Funny story about him and the little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not going to argue with you there :). He's going to be a great big brother. The minds of children are amazing. You'll have plenty of stories like that in the next couple of years!

      Delete