Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Dragon Gem: Behind the Scenes

Working on the 2nd Edition of The Dragon Gem(a much slower process than anticipated), I have realized that it could be fun to talk a little about the chapters as I make my way through them-a commentary, if you will.  My favorite author, Brandon Sanderson, has done this with nearly all of his books, giving insight into his writing and providing a little behind the scenes information about the story.  So, starting next week, I'll start doing this for each chapter, posting a couple chapters worth of commentary each week. 

To kick things off, I'd like to list a couple general facts about The Dragon Gem(well, really the Korin's Journal trilogy as a whole)

* The series was originally going to be a series of novellas, each one focused on the individual Activated Contracts Korin takes on as he travels.  Each would add a piece to a larger story, while allowing for pretty much as many smaller stories as I wished to write.  However, just a couple chapters into the first book, something bigger took shape in my mind and inspired me to shift to an epic trilogy.  Trust me, it's better this way.

* The name of the land that the Dragon Gem takes place in, Amirand, is a not so subtle nod to my wife, Miranda :).

*  I actually prefer not to write in first person, but Korin's character was just begging to be expressed in such a perspective.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.  Now, back to editing/rewriting/revising The Dragon Gem(Now 20% complete)!  

No comments:

Post a Comment