Sunday, August 5, 2012

Feet Back on the Road

So, went for my first run since my appendectomy three weeks ago.  If any reading this are joggers, then you know how frustrating it can be when something keeps you from running.  Runners are of a special stubbornness-the kind where even after surgery, you think "Maybe if I just go for a mile or so, my intestines won't spill onto the pavement..."

Anyway, being a licensed nurse(which brings about a whole other special breed of stubbornness), I tried to be good and wait until at least after my follow-up MD visit before setting back out for a run.  My follow-up went well and with my move to NC coming up this week, this was my last chance to get out there and test the waters, so to speak.

I set out for a slow one-miler in an effort to take things slowly and ended up with two just over my pre-surgery pace!  

For me, this is not just a huge thing for just getting back into the joy of running, but also because running plays a major role in my writing(and writers have yet another unique stubbornness).  When I feel like my plot has run into a wall(or down into a deep, dark hole for that matter), that I'm in a rut, that my creativity has run dry, or I have good ol' fashioned writer's block, a good run is all I need to dig myself out.  Most of my plots points originated during a good run.

So, hopefully this will help keep me a little more focused on my book.  Thirty minutes to an hour of running may take away that much time from writing, but more than makes up for it in inspiration.

Have a great week, everyone!

Brian Beam

No comments:

Post a Comment