Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Warrior Wednesday - 3/12/2014 - Are You Up for the Challenge?

This week's Warrior Wednesday comes with a challenge.

But to start with, here's the few runs I've been able to fit in since the last Warrior Wednesday post two weeks ago. I'm still working on whittling my pace down to something closer to what it used to be, but I'll get there.  

3.5 mi - 32:36 (3/01/2014)
1.48 mi - 12:59 (3/02/2014)
3.22 mi - 29:41 (3/08/2014)
2.0 mi - 16:39 (3/09/2014)
1.09 mi - 9:22 (3/10/2014) (stroller run with Jonas)

Second, thanks to everyone's kind donations, I have officially met my $300 goal for St. Jude.  Not only that, but the goal was met more than 2 months early!  Since the race is not until May 17, I have decided to up the goal to $500.  Be sure to check out www.warrior.stjude.org/brianbeam to learn more about the wonderful things St. Jude does for sick children, and please consider donating to their wonderful organization while you are there.  Remember, every $5 you donate enters you to win a signed copy of one of my books, a free Kindle downloads of one of my books, or even have a major character named after you in Book 3 of Korin's Journal.  Also, if you donate $10 or more, your will automatically be named in the acknowledgements of Book 3 of Korin's Journal, in addition to being entered to win the previously mentioned prizes.  You can find more details about it at www.warrior.stjude.org/brianbeam, or by clicking the image below.


And lastly, since I may be further preoccupied from blogging much(read: will be preoccupied) with the new baby (I'm writing this before the baby is born, but we're getting induced on what will be yesterday when this post goes live), I want to end with something that will stick with you until the next post.

For anyone reading this, whether you typically exercise or not, I'd like to issue a small challenge for this week.  First, if you are able, I would like you to do something active, something you would not have done otherwise.  If you are a runner or walker, for example, add 5 minutes to your run/walk, or an extra half mile or more.  If you go to the gym, add a few more reps or weight to your exercises, or add a few minutes to the treadmill/elliptical/bike.  If you don't typically allow yourself structured exercise time(which doesn't necessarily mean you're not active), take 5-10 minutes one day this week to do so, whether by taking a walk, run, swim, or whatever.  Feel free to keep it simple; say, make a walking loop around your neighborhood.

Once you have completed this, I then challenge you to do the same activity again within the week, only this time adding on another 5-10 minutes/more weight/more reps/more distance . . . whatever you did for the first part of this challenge.  If you made that loop around your neighborhood, make two, for example.

All this challenge  is intended to do is to have you start pushing yourself beyond your comfort level  in exercise, or to help you be a little more active over the week.  

Now, I don't expect all two people who may still be reading by this point (and assuming there are two of you may be wishful thinking) to  post in the comments below, but if you do choose to do this, I'd recommend doing so.  Whether stating that you plan to try this challenge, or posting what you did to meet it, I would love to be able to offer you my support, congratulations, and/or encouragement.  Who knows, maybe others who happen by this blog post will throw in some of their own.

Well, future me probably wants to tell the current me to go to sleep now while I still can (since the baby will be here by the time you read this, sleep will be an oh so precious commodity).  Hope everyone is well!

Brian



No comments:

Post a Comment